Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies
Yields: 16 sandwich cookies
For the cake cookies
1 chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (350 degrees for convection).
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat together the cake mix, eggs, water & vegetable for 2-3 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat. Scoop the batter on the baking sheet using a small ice cream scoop, approximately 1 1/2 – 2 inches in diameter.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on baking sheet for 1 minute and then transfer to cooling racks to cool completely.
For the filling
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (crunchy would work too!)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups powdered sugar
- In a stand mixer (or using hand mixer), beat together the cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar (1 cup at a time) and beat until light a fluffy.
- Fill pastry bag (or plastic bag) with frosting and snip end of the bag. Turn one cookie upside down and pipe frosting on to the cookie and then top with another cookie.