Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes in a Jar
Yields: 12 cupcakes
1 box of yellow cake mix prepared and baked into cupcakes, as indicated on box (I used Duncan Hines Butter Yellow Cake)
2 pounds of strawberries, washed, and sliced into bite size pieces
2 Tbsp of sugar
2 cup2 heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp powerdered sugar
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
12 plastic cups or Jars
1. Prepare and bake yellow cake mix into 24 cupcakes as indicated on the box. Bake until toothpick comes out clean and then allow to fully cool on cooling rack.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine sliced strawberries with sugar, mixing thoroughly. Store covered in the refrigerator.
3. Using stand mixer (or hand mixer), beat 1 cup heavy whipping cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Add in 1 Tbsp powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Beat until stiff peaks form. Spoon into large plastic bag and store in refrigerator.
4. Repeat step 3 with the remaining ingredients and transfer finished cream into plastic bag with the first batch. Snip off corner of the bag so you will be able to pipe the whipped cream.
5. Cut each cooled cupcake in half (as if you were making a cupcake sandwich). Place bottom half into the bottom of on of the cups. Top with tablespoon or strawberries and then pipe a layer of whipped cream. Place the other half of the cupcake on top and then top again with strawberries and whipped cream. Garnish with whole strawberry (optional).
6. Repeat process in step 5 with the remaining cupcakes. Store in refrigerator. Best if eaten within a few hours of completion.